On any given day, these three suburban children are on the hunt for candy.
Like parents seek a nap, they’ll take their sweet release when and however they can.
In other words, my three kids said yes one recent morning before school to guessing the flavor of the 2017 mystery Peeps.
A little background on Peeps
- Peeps have been around since 1953. Mystery-flavored Peeps were introduced three years ago and are sold only at Walmart.
- Three new flavors are introduced each year.
- The mystery flavors are available now, but not revealed until sometime before Easter on Sunday, April 16, 2017.
- Mystery flavors of previous years have included: buttered popcorn, sour green apple and chocolate milk.
- Mystery Peep eaters receive no help from the appearance of the marshmallowy concoctions. All three flavors are white, but speckled with either blue and purple, green and yellow or red and orange crystals.
Mystery flavor No. 1
Cela, 11: “Sugary for sure. Not a fruit flavor.” (Shrugs.)
Ava, 10: “Definitely maple syrup. But like it’s been left out a couple days.”
Olivia, 8: “I’m thinking waffles and maple syrup.”
Consensus: Maple syrup.
Mystery flavor No. 2
Cela: “I taste blueberries and strawberries and something sour.”
Ava: “Smells like berries but tastes tangy.”
Olivia: “These are good. Can I take the rest to school?”
Consensus: Passion fruit.
Mystery flavor No. 3
Cela: “Sour. Like lime.”
Ava: “Fruity again. But some kind of — what’s that called? Yes! Citrus.”
Olivia: “What we drink when we’re sick.” (That would be Sprite.)
Consensus: Yucky. Or lemon lime.
Let us know your flavor guesses when you try the mystery Peeps in the comments below the story.